Age Friendly Mecklenburg is a community-wide initiative that works to improve the quality of life for older adults in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. The initiative brings together various organizations and community members to plan and coordinate services and resources for older adults. These organizations include not-for-profit, higher education, faith-based, private, and governmental organizations, as well as community residents. A list of some of these organizations with links to their websites is included below.
Age Friendly Mecklenburg’s Action Plan aims to address the needs and access to services for older adults in the county. The Action Plan is guided by the AARP’s Eight Domains of Livability, which include
- outdoor spaces and buildings
- social participation
- respect and social inclusion
- civic participation and employment
- communication and information
- community and health services.
Through its Action Plan, Age Friendly Mecklenburg works to improve outdoor spaces and buildings to make them more accessible and inviting for older adults. This includes things like making sidewalks and crosswalks more accessible, installing benches and shade structures, and creating public spaces that are welcoming to older adults, improving transportation options for older adults in the county..
Age Friendly Mecklenburg is also committed to making housing more affordable and suitable for older adults in the county. This includes things like providing access to affordable housing options and working to make homes more accessible and safe for older adults.
Check out some of these organizations that provide services and resources for older adults, making Charlotte, NC a great place to enjoy your life, no matter what age.
- The Charlotte Mecklenburg Library: This organization offers a range of services and resources for seniors, including book clubs, computer classes, and health and wellness programs.
- The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Senior Center: This organization provides a variety of recreational and educational activities for seniors, as well as services such as health screenings and transportation assistance.
- Mecklenburg County Aging Services: This organization offers a range of services and resources for seniors, including home care services, transportation assistance, and programs that promote socialization and engagement.
- Charlotte Community Health Clinic: This organization provides access to affordable health care services for seniors, including primary care, specialty care, and preventive services.
- NC Coalition on Aging: This coalition is a dynamic group of organizations and individuals that work collaboratively to give voice to issues that affect older North Carolinians. The Coalition engages in a variety of activities and efforts that focus on issues of common interest across our membership.
- Age Friendly Mecklenburg: This initiative brings together various organizations and community members to plan and improve services for older adults in Mecklenburg County. The initiative has been instrumental in helping the county earn AARP/World Health Organization certification as an Age Friendly Community.