Frequently Asked Questions
I'm curious. What exactly is a Senior Move Manager®?
Senior Move Management is the profession that assists older adults, individuals, and families with rightsizing, downsizing, relocation or simplifying their homes.
Our company provides these services for anyone in real estate transition but we also understand the unique needs of older adults looking to “rightsize” and streamline their lives.
Although specific services vary, most Senior Move Managers® can help with some or all of the following:
- Developing an overall move or plan
- Organizing, sorting and downsizing
- Customized floor plans
- Arranging for the profitable distribution of unwanted items through auction, estate sale, buy-out, consignment, donation, or a combination of the above
- Interviewing, scheduling and overseeing movers
- Arranging shipments and storage
- Supervise and oversight of professional packing
- Unpacking and setting up the new home
- The Real Estate Transition Team also offers complete real estate brokerage through Premier Sotheby’s International Realty. So in addition to all that a Senior Move Management company offers, we provide complete turn-key services. We truly manage all the details of selling your current home, buying a new home and everything in between.
I am interested in obtaining some help with my Mom's move, but we can do most of the work to save money. Can I still contact a Senior Move Manager® to do just some of the work?
Yes, we offer a menu of services and you pay accordingly. Our ultimate goal is to ease the stress of the move process for older adults and family members, not add to your concerns.
What makes a Senior Move Manager® different from just a moving company? They seem pretty similar to me ... are they?
- Senior Move Managers® provide a multi-faceted approach to the move process: from space planning in the beginning to post-move settling in and support.
- Move Managers minimize the chaos and stress associated with moving by addressing all aspects of the move process. They are responsible for creating and executing a seamless action plan, customized to the client’s wishes.
- Actually, some but not all Senior Move Managers® are also movers. Those providers that are not movers will work closely with a reputable local moving company to complete that aspect of the job.
- With the gentle and expert guidance of an experienced Senior Move Manager®, older adults and families make the key decisions without the emotional and physical distress that can follow. As a result, they avoid the costly mistakes and remorse that often accompany such major lifestyle transitions.
- Senior Move Managers® do so much more than simply sort, settle and move boxes; with loads of energy, expertise and experience, Senior Move Managers® take the worry (and work!) out of the move process. The client’s job is to simply enjoy his or her new living arrangement.
I already have a realtor. Can you still help me prepare my house for sale?
Yes! We are happy to work with you and your broker to prepare your home for sale. We offer a variety of services that you may choose from, including but not limited to, decluttering, organizing, pre-inspection/handyman services, estate sales, white glove packing and unpacking, move management, cleaning, and staging. Every case is unique and we tailor to your needs and goals. Once in your new space, we can unpack and help you settle in, hanging pictures, connecting wifi, whatever you need to feel at home.
I'm not ready to sell just yet. Can you still help me get organized and declutter?
Absolutely! We can do as little or as much as you need help with. After talking with you about your needs we will develop a plan tailored to your goals and timeline.
Who uses a Senior Move Manager®?
Senior Move Managers are contacted by various sources:
- The individual or family seeking services
- Family members
- Insurance companies
- Bank and trust officers
- Care Managers
- Social service providers/social workers
- Senior living communities
- Physicians and allied health providers
What are the real benefits of Move Management services?
- Senior Move Managers® have significant expertise in resources and approaches that save money, reduce stress and produce quality results.
- Services are personalized to meet the client’s needs and preferences.
- NASMM Senior Move Managers® are reviewed for insurance and are required to take our Cornerstone Courses which focus on core competencies in Senior Move Management® including Ethics & Accountability, Safety, Understanding the Moving Industry & Understanding Contracts & Liability.
- Ongoing educational programs reflect the NASMM commitment to professionalism and to working with older adults, families and others.
- NASMM has developed a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for all members.
Why is Senior Move Management®, in particular, needed now and not twenty years ago?
- The numbers tell the story. The U.S. population aged 65 and over will jump nearly 80 percent when the Baby Boom generation retires (from 2010 to 2030). By 2030, the elderly will account for one-fifth of the total U.S. population. Did you also know that Americans age 85 and above comprise the fastest growing segment of the U.S. population?
- Today, many families are geographically dispersed and adult children are often not able to help with the moving process due to distance, career or family obligations.
- Many older adults have no surviving children, or increasingly, their children are older adults themselves. If illness or death precipitates the move, the family is likely already drained both emotionally and physically. They need help. Senior Move Managers® emerged to fill these gaps and to facilitate the transition for everyone involved.
- Older adults making a transition have usually not moved in 30, 40 or 50 years and need to downsize considerably. The organizational and physical tasks associated with planning and implementing such a complex move can be overwhelming for the entire family. Seek the help of experienced, insured professionals and call a Senior Move Manager®.
How much do Senior Move Management® services cost?
- It’s virtually impossible to calculate what a specific move might cost, as the fee can vary considerably by geographic region and the services requested.
- Additionally, some Senior Move Managers® charge their fees on an hourly basis, while others prefer to package the cost of the entire job at one price.
- NASMM members will always outline the cost of a job through a written estimate before you are required to submit payment.
Ask a Question
Have a question? We can help or will do our best to find someone who can.